Jon, what have you done to me?


Have you ever had one of those dreams from which you awaken thrilled because you've just received great news only to find out it was the deceptive product of your subconscious?
Some background:
As I've worked on my thesis I've received a great deal of insight and encouragement from my friend Jon Kever, who has recently completed the rigorous process. In his retelling of his own story he related a dream he had had wherein he received a scathing review from Dr. Kreider telling him he had too may footnotes.
Last night I dreamed that upon reading my first two chapters, Dr. Bingham, excited to be in the presence of true genius, replied that he loved the work, but that his only improvement would be that I use the word "is" in its various forms more often in my footnotes. His explanation was that this would somehow make the footnotes (to be) more gender inclusive.
Needless to say this was a huge relief...a sense of relief that would be irreparably rent asunder by the bone-chilling sound of the alarm clock.
Jon, what have you done to me?

0 comments: