Brotherly Wisdom: Niebuhr on the Source of American Propserity


"From the [Puritans' days] to this it has remained one of the most difficult achievements for our nation to recognize the fortuitous and the providential element in our good fortune. If either moral pride or the spirit of rationalism tried to draw every element in an historic situation into rational coherence, and persuades us to draw a direct continuity between our good fortune and our virtue and skill, we will inevitably claim more for our contribution to our prosperity than the facts warrant." Reinold Niebuhr, The Irony of American History, p. 48.

I've often been impressed with the Christian double talk that refers to their material wealth as their "being blessed," but clings tightly to those resources as if they belonged to them...as if they earned them. Allow me illustrate. It's no mystery that my family lives on support from generous donors. What would my supporters think if I bought a Corvette? Whose money am I spending on that Corvette? Would it be more appropriate for one of my supporters to buy a Corvette? Why? Whose money are they spending?

0 comments: