Fatherly Advice


"Q: I've an issue, world, to bring up with you. Who are you, and
whence, teach first, and whither do you roll?
And how do you revolve me, like a wheel that carries an ant?
A: Where I'm from I don't know, but I know it's from God.
And I roll towards something greater. But I don't turn you round.
But it's you, unworldly one, who act violently towards me.
Q: How then do you stand solid, whilst I'm unsteady?
A: I am something external, and what's the advantage of that?
But the things you want to do, you can do them, if you want.
Q: Well and good; but external things, who can bear them?
A: Why, is there something wrong?
Matter here is for the sake of the salvation of the good.
Q: Then the cause of you is someone greater?
A: You've got it."
-Gregory of Nazianzus A Conversation With the World

I have a collection of Gregory's poems translated by Peter Gilbert. I think he does an excellent job translating, not just the words, but the art as well.
This particular poem may seem strange unless you know that Gregory's preference was to be left alone in his study, "on the mountain," contemplating God and self. ("external things, who can bear them?") It was his understanding of the Church that constantly drew him out of the mountains and into the pulpit, into the Council, or out to the poor.

0 comments: