Ripping the theological hair from my head


Two things frustrated me today about the professor of my Hebrews, Gen. Ep. and Revelation class.
1. The professor said at least three different times about three different views of his, "I'm alone in this." I wanted to say, "hey, maybe that's because you're wrong." Not because I suppose myself to have arrived at the correct view on the subject, but because I can't imagine that the Holy Spirit would hide a truth from the church for centuries only to reveal it to Dr. _______ of Dallas Theological Seminary.
2. I was much more disturbed over the next item. My professor actually said that he believes that "Adam did not die spiritually." Furthermore any view which supposes Adam did die is based on a faulty understanding of the Hebrew verb translated "you will die" in Gen. 2:17. Now, he does believe there was sin and a fall, but says Adam never lost faith, so he passed straight from a state of Edenic perfection to what converted saints now experience. (He will not say Adam was converted or saved because Adam was never lost.) He also believes in the innate depravity of Adam's posterity, but this creates a problem for him. How could God impute something from Adam to us which was never true of Adam? i.e. spiritual death. I posed this question to him in class, but he said "you can't work backwards like that." The question I thought of quietly to myself after this was, "if what is imputed need not be true of the representative (as this professor supposes) Christ need not be righteous." If we can inherit spiritual death from a man who did not die spiritually, then we can inherit righteousness from a sinner. Nevermind the fact that this whole view is yet another which the professor is "alone on."

0 comments: